[X4U] Audio recording [Esoteric problem]

verduron verduron at comcast.net
Sat Jul 3 12:54:05 PDT 2004

On Jul 3, 2004, at 11:21 AM, John R McDaniel wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2004, at 3:28 PM, verduron wrote:
>
>> On my G3, having a small processor, it is better to disconnect the
>> Ethernet connection while audio recording in order NOT to get the
>> distortion I suddenly got in the recording.
>
> Ethernet connection causing distortion in an audio recording?  --odd.
>
> Troubleshooting requires lots of information. If you want to pursue
> this, please provide plenty of information, such as:
>
> --CPU model/speed
> --Operating system and version
> --amount of ram
> --type of ethernet connection (DHCP?)
> --software used for audio recording (and version #)
>
> --are you recording to an internal system drive or external drive?
> --SCSI, firewire, USB drive; if external
> --what kind of distortion? -pops & clicks; dropouts; intermittant;
> extreme peaks at full scale
>
> help us help you, by giving us some information.
>
> j mcd
>
> ---
> John McDaniel      johnmcd at one.net

G3 - Blue and White - 300 MHz - 876 MB / MAC OS 10.3.4
Recording audio cassettes to digital format.
Using Griffin Tech USB iMic.
The problem: after a while the sound becomes very scratchy and
distorted.
I was told to take the Ethernet cable off. I did, I recorded a couple
of 90 minutes cassettes without a problem.
But it started again. After rebooting the computer I thought it might
remove the problem, but it did it again, after 50 minutes into the
recording.
Using a separate peripheral firewire hard drive for the recording.
There is nothing else on the drive. I did not de-fragment it, just
reformat it before recording.
I am now trying to record, using a direct connection to the computer.
Not using iMic.

I am using Peak 4.1
I did use Spin Doctor originally. Same problem. Worse actually.
Removing iMic allowed me to record without problem BUT control of input
level was almost nil. the level was at 0 and the music was loud.
The distortion appears out of nowhere at some point. Can be so bad it
is hardly possible to hear the source. I compare that to have a bad
plug and twisting it in the contact. Or a bad volume control button.
My next try will be to install a software - no driver- which came with
iMic to record old Vinyls.