De-fragmentation (revisited)

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sun Jul 4 13:32:37 PDT 2004

lists3-200402 said:

>well, whenever i hear the word "defrag" or "norton" (or both words in
>the same sentence), i think of the word "inexperienced" or
>"incompetent".

I think that you may be seeing things in too black and white a manner and
that you are being too harsh.  This list isn't just for video or audio
professionals.  And even some professionals look to do things as
inexpensively as possible for minor jobs.

>if the user needs to work on video, sound, photo editing, etc., that
>person needs a scratch disk. you need room to work on this kind of
>stuff. a raid-0 scratch disk is ideal (two internal or external
>drives striped together).

Hobbiests can't always afford to go with the best possible hardware
setup.  Often they are looking for the minimum setup that will work
effectively.

>using a defrag utility does not address the root issue...having a
>scratch disk is the solution for these types of workstations. i'm not
>talking about educational environments...i'm talking about
>breat+butter high intensity shops. service bureaus, video/sound
>production, digital photography shops, etc.
>
>...try recommending a defrag utility to any competent mac support
>person in these types of environments and see what kind of response
>you get.

You are on a general Macintosh discussion list, not a specialized one for
multi-media professionals.

In any case, calling me, or anyone on a list such as this, names, and
questioning my expertise and motivations when you have no knowledge of my
background, is, in itself, uncalled for an unprofessional.  We welcome
your participation here and contributions, but please leave the invective
for the schoolyard.

Randy B. Singer

How To Deal With Common OS X 10.3 Panther Problems
http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html