[X4U] How can we compete?

Judi Sohn momathome at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 07:38:55 PST 2004

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 10:27:15 -0500, Chris Malanga
<cmalanga at bgsualumni.com> wrote:

> How is Apple supposed to compete with this?  I've been waiting for a deal on
> a computer to be the "center of my digital hub" now, but even with an eMac
> at $799, I'd still have to add AirPort, a SuperDrive, wireless keyboard and
> mouse, a card reader, and EyeTV to even come close.  I'm seriously
> considering one of these Medions to fill the task until Apple comes out with
> something similar.
>
> I just wish Apple would realize that there is a market for two things: (1)
> lower cost machines without monitor, (2) a digital hub machine like the
> above.
>
> It's really hard to push people to the Mac, and I have done that five times
> in the past two years, but $799 PCs with all the above features make it
> *really* hard.
>
> What do you think?

Apple can't compete. And they're no longer trying. How many iPod
commercials have you seen lately? Tons, right? Now how many
commercials have you seen for any Apple computer, much less from the
"switch" campaign?

Apple is now the music/video company that happens to make everyday
computers where they used to be an everyday computer company that
happened to make music/video software/hardware. There are many people
who live and die by Apple Computer and don't own an iPod or make &
edit music/video for a living. I used to be one of them. Many are on
this list. But 95% of the people in the world do not fall into this
category and that's where the $799 PCs fit in.

Judi Sohn, judi at momathome.com
Mom at Home Design, http://www.momathome.com
AIM: JudiS217