[X4U] How can we compete?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Nov 2 16:50:46 PST 2004

> There's no reason Apple needs to chase the other 95%. It's doing very well
> as a company. It's stock is way up, it has mucho cash on hand and the Mac
> people who are there aren't going away. Mac fills a need in the market. As I
> once mentioned, Apple is not a teeny weeny company-once again it's bigger
> than MacDonalds. You don't see BMW competing for the Chevy market! Wake up!
> This line of thought keeps popping up for no currently good reason. They
> make good products that last for years. The Newton is still in wide use and
> so are many old Macs. Just check out how lively http://www.lowendmac is
> today. Enough already......Ya wanna play games buy a cheap PC. Ya wanna make
> a movie or music get a Mac.....
> =========================
> Mike Amato

The reason Apple's stock price is so high is the iPod, which has driven the
stock price up way higher than it should be.  Apple appears to be going the
same way with the iPod that it went with the Mac, which in the long run will
probably result in their loosing out in that market as well (then there is
the little matter of the lawsuit by Apple Music).  Personally I don't see
them doing quite as well as you do.

OTOH, one thing I find irritating about all of these market share reports is
that they rarely comment on Apples market share in the *LAPTOP* segment.

While I'm not convinced that the Mac is the *best* choice in the Music
production market (I'd say it's closer to being tied), I do agree it's the
best choice for video work.  I'd also say they're about tied in the DTP
market.  I'm not sure about Music, but Video and DTP are areas where Linux
isn't threat, I still can't believe people try to compare GIMP to Adobe
Photoshop!

As for the good products that last for years, the same can be said about a
lot of other computers as well.  Lots of people are still using low-end
Pentiums, or even older systems.  There are people running thier businesses
on 30+ year old computer hardware!

		Zane