[X4U] HP iPods

KJS explorerguy at mac.com
Tue Nov 2 19:53:31 PST 2004

>> By the way, the packages indicate that the HP iPods are meant for Windows.
>> I'm assuming that is only meaningful because of the PC-specific version of
>> iTunes that's included, which wouldn't be relevant to my use with my Mac.
>> Correct?
>
>> From HP's Web site <http://www.hp.com/music> :
>
> "I have both a Mac and a PC. Will my Apple iPod from HP work on both?"
>
> No, not at the same time. Your iPod is configured for a PC and formatted for
> Windows.
>
> NOTE: You can convert an iPod formatted for Windows into an iPod formatted
> for Mac by using the iPod for Mac Software Updater utility on the  Apple
> website . Note that once it is reformatted, it will only work with Macs. You
> need Mac OS 9.2 or Mac OS X 10.1 or later to reformat an iPod for Windows
> into an iPod for Mac. Using the Apple iPod from HP on a Mac is not supported
> by HP.

Good info. Thanks, Eddie. The update will be easy, but the note about HP not
supporting the iPods' use on Macs caught my eye. So, I've written HP to ask
if the warranty will be voided. I'll post their response.

<obligatory OS X tie-in>

Wonder if OS X (10.3.5) would recognize the iPod anyway - sans reformatting?

</obligatory OS X tie-in>

Regards,
Jerry