[X4U] DVD media choice

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Wed Nov 3 10:59:35 PST 2004

 On Wednesday, November 03, 2004, at 11:36AM, Mark Phillips <mark at mophilly.com> wrote:

>I need burn about 30 DVD's for a project. I would like to minimize the
>failure rate. A friend of mine said to purchase the media from the
>Apple Store to get the best quality. On the store in the US one can buy
>5 and 10 disk packs. Seems like more packaging than I really need to
>buy 40 DVD blanks.
>
>Can anyone recommend a brand or spec for high quality DVD media?
>
>Also, I have an Epson 900N that is about three years old. Can this
>machine print on CD? I notice the new model support this.

The brand rated the highest at Supermediastore.com is called Taiyo Yuden (http://supermediastore.com/dvdmedia.html)

I have purchased their SuperMedia 8x brand brand for my G5 burner with good results - no coasters while burning on my G5 or while playing in *my* DVD player.

The only issue I have seen is that some DVD players like only DVD's that have been burned at 1x (so every dvd I burn for myself at 8x I have to then copy back to HD and reburn at 1x for the Mother-In-Law).

I do not know if this is the result of the media or the burner.

Anyway, SupermediaStore delivered on time and excellent pricing, no suprises,. I would buy from them again. However, I would sample another brand to see if it was more reliable in DVD players when burned at 8x.

Good luck,
--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com