[X4U] Re: WordPerfect (Was: How can we compete?)

Fabian Fang ftf at mac.com
Wed Nov 3 13:49:04 PST 2004

On Nov 3, 2004, at 11:27 AM, Randy B.Singer wrote:

> Zane H. Healy said:
>
>> But with V3/Mac,
>> I really disliked the whole interface (I also dislike V5.2/Win).
>
>> Then I
>> got a chance to try MS Word 6.0, I went out and bought a copy of MS
>> Office 6, ASAP.
>
> I really would have loved for you to have been part of a discussion I
> recently participated in on the WP/Mac discussion list.  You disliked
> WP/Mac's interface and loved...Word 6.  That might have caused a few
> folk's heads to explode.  8-{D

Even though we are all entitled to our personal choices, the preference
of Microsoft Word Version 6 over WordPerfect Version 3 is truly amazing
and almost laughable.  Some years ago I taught Macintosh applications
at a state university, which placed Microsoft programs on its networks
as a matter of routine because of systemwide site license arrangements.
  Word 6 was thoroughly hated by all of my students, and caused a lot of
heads to explode, as in Randy's words.  I had to twist some arms to get
the IT folks to agree to install WordPerfect 3, as well as ClarisWorks,
on the networks.  Many, many students expressed their gratitude to me.