[X4U] OK now it's happening with TWO apps

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Wed Nov 3 17:16:23 PST 2004

Jesse Leo said:

>Not only does Safari just bounce, bounce, bounce and then stop bouncing
>without opening, but now MAIL is doing the same thing. Also there is a whole
>lotta beach-balling going on at random times. It almost seems like it's a
>FINDER issue or something else. Any ideas?

Applications launching and then quitting is usually caused by corrupted
user preferences.

I would first try:

Preferential Treatment (free)
http://homepage.mac.com/jonn8/as/

If that doesn't help, I would try manually uninstalling the prefs files
for the effected applications.

For a discussion of beachball-of-death problems, see:
http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html
Item #'s 1, 2, and especially 3.
Often this problem is caused by a bad USB peripheral.  Try detaching
everything other than your mouse and keyboard (and if those are
third-party products, use the original Apple devices instead) and then
restart and see if the problem is gone.)

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html