[X4U] Re: Backup Strategies - Need Recommendations!

Joel M. Rath joelrath at mac.com
Wed Nov 3 18:05:25 PST 2004

At 12:29 PM -0800 11/3/04, Joe Sporleder <joe at beloit-kansas.com> wrote:

>I have a small newspaper publishing network that averages 8
>workstations, most are running the latest version of MacOS X Panther,
>and an old one is running MacOS X Jaguar, plus a PowerMac G5 running
>MacOS X Panther Server.

><snip>
>
>Therefore, I'm now looking for a good commercial backup program for my
>server and my network, and is smart enough to get past any permission
>problems, and finally, a smart copy that only backs up the files that
>have changed, as the amount of data I must now backup requires that
>level of efficiency (each of 3 crucial volumes on my server contain an
>average of 12GB of important data). I tried Retrospect a couple of
>times, but that was well before switching to MacOS X about a year and
>1/2 ago, and I wasn't too impressed with it then. Has anyone used Data
>Backup by Prosoft Engineering? It looks promising and it looks like I
>can outfit several workstations economically.
>
>Joe

Retrospect Workgroup will do all that you mentioned, very, very well....

  Retrospect Workgroup backs up and restores data on one local
Macintosh server and as many as 20 desktops and notebooks running
Macintosh, Windows, and Red Hat Linux.

--
Joel M. Rath	http://www.rathconsulting.biz	Rath Consulting
	Phone: 517-423-2472