[X4U] OK now it's happening with TWO apps

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed Nov 3 18:27:37 PST 2004

On 11/03/04, Randy B.Singer <randy at macattorney.com> wrote:
> Jesse Leo said:
>
>>Not only does Safari just bounce, bounce, bounce and then stop bouncing
>>without opening, but now MAIL is doing the same thing. Also there is a whole
>>lotta beach-balling going on at random times. It almost seems like it's a
>>FINDER issue or something else. Any ideas?
>
> Applications launching and then quitting is usually caused by corrupted
> user preferences.  I would first try:
>
> Preferential Treatment (free)
> http://homepage.mac.com/jonn8/as/

Great suggestion. However, if your prefs check out with PT and you still
have the problem, I suggest creating a new admin user account, log into it,
and see if the problem continues. If not, then it's something else in the
original user account. In that case, you should copy all the data files
from the original to the new user, reset the prefs, copy pertinent stuff
from that user's Library folder (except prefs), and eventually delete the
original. If so, then you have some system level corruption and I suggest
reinstalling the latest OS X Combo updater for your particular
installation, run Software Update and bring the system up to date. Finally,
run Disk Utility and repair permissions. The above should fix what's ailing
you.