[X4U] Fax software recommendations for Jaguar

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Nov 5 22:34:49 PST 2004

Mark Philip said:

>I want to use my old iMac 233MHz, running Jaguar, as a fax machine to
>send and receive faxes. I have a copy of FaxSTF, but what do others on
>this list recommend for fax software? Preferably freeware or GNU...

Fax software for OS X:

Page Sender ($30)
http://www.smileonmymac.com/pagesender/index.html

FaxCenter (previously known as Cocoa eFax) ($10)
http://www.macadvocacy.com/faxcenter.htm

FAXstf Pro $90
http://tinyurl.com/8mtc

CoMa X
http://hartmann-b.de/CoMa/CoMa_X_en.html

4-Sight Fax  (For Networks Only.  Probably the best choice for a
networked office.)
http://www.4sightfax.com/5Home.html

Hyla Fax  (free; client/server fax system)
http://www.hylafax.org/4.1.2.html
http://homepage.mac.com/robthedude/MacFlex/  (Macintosh client for Hyla
Fax)

For receiving faxes, it is far less than optimal to use a modem and fax
software, as they don't work well and they tie up your phone line and
your computer.  What I recommend instead is that you sign up for one of
the Web/eMail fax services.  They give you a fax phone number for people
to send faxes to you to, and then the fax is sent to you as an eMail
attachment.  So, you don't even have to have your computer on when the
fax is sent to you. Some of these services even offer a free basic
account. Check out:

FaxWave/CallWave
http://www.callwave.com/faxwave/

eFax:
http://www.efax.com
(They still offer their basic service for free):
https://www.efax.com/en/efax/twa/signupFree

JFax:
http://www.j2.com/jfax.asp

FaxAway:
http://www.faxaway.com/

MaxEmail  (I've heard a lot more positive feedback about this service
than these others)
http://www.maxemail.com

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html