[X4U] Cable vs. DSL

Bill Fox wfoxjr at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 10 15:18:10 PST 2004

No resource but my experience of 3 years with cable (Cox in VA) then 1
year with DSL (Covad via Earthlink in VA) led me back to cable (Cox in
San Diego). Cable is/was much faster. DSL was a little cheaper but l
could have paid much more than cable for faster DSL to roughly equal
the cable speed. I also found that the DSL PPOE connection protocol was
an occasional PITA for my router and network causing long outages.

I tried DSL because I could get it through Earthlink with 150 hours of
emergency dial up while on travel for a little less than cable and I
could pay a little more to get a static IP address, not offered by Cox
cable in VA. I also thought it might be more reliable in VA since the
phone system didn't go out as frequently during bad weather as cable
did but outages were about a wash overall and DSL's outages were more
frustrating. I didn't use the static IP and most places I stay while
traveling now have a high speed internet connection available.

DSL can now be had for even less than cable but I still like the
simplicity and speed of cable.