[X4U] Mount Mac firewire drive on Windows?

Anne-Marie Concepcion amarie at senecadesign.com
Sat Nov 13 12:45:30 PST 2004

I've got everything working in a 2-Mac/1-PC network, everyone can
mount everyone else's main drives using the OS's built-in software.
(Macs are 10.3.5, PC is Windows XP Pro, SP2).

But... the one thing I need to do I can't figure out. I have a
Firewire hanging off one of my Macs. I want to turn this into a
"quasi file server" so the Macs and the PC can all read/write to it.

I can't figure out which network address to tell Windows to add a
Network Connection for the firewire drive.

I found this discussion on Mac OS X hints:
<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2002082601170699&query=samba+share+point>

and the very last comment looked great, it referred people to this
utility, SambaShare:
<http://xamba.sourceforge.net/ssp/index.shtml>

... but the guy abandoned development of Samba Share with Jaguar.
It's not compatible w/Panther.

I know I can buy DAVE or install/configure Sharepoints, but it seems
like overkill just to get a firewire drive to appear on the PC. (no
problem getting it on the Macs).

Any suggestions?

thx
AM