[X4U] Finder quits incessantly -- HELP!!!

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Mon Nov 15 15:56:41 PST 2004

On 11/15/04, Jim Robertson <jamesrob at sonic.net> wrote:

> Here's an example of the UNIX underpinnings of OS-X at work. Just now the
> Finder began quitting repetitively. I can launch applications because I have
> a pointer to my "Applications" folder in the Dock. Other applications run
> normally, but the Finder just keeps disappearing in the background. If I log
> out and log in as another user, that user's Finder runs normally. If I force
> power down the Mac and reboot, the Finder keeps quitting once I've logged
> back in as myself.
>
> Things I have available that might help:
>
> Macjanitor
> Disk Utility
> DiskWarrior
>
> Any ideas what I should do at this point? I don't have a good feeling about
> this.
>
> This is a PowerMac dual G5 (1st generation dual 1.8) running OS X 10.3.6
> with all updates applied.

First thing, create a new admin user account, log into it, and see if the
problem persists.

If not, then trash the com.apple.finder.plist, log back into the original
account, and see if that fixes it.

If so, then your system is a bit hosed and I suggest reinstalling the
10.3.6 COMBO update, then repair permissions.

If neither of these work, write back.