[X4U] Finder Quits Incessantly

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Mon Nov 15 20:55:58 PST 2004

Things are worse than I first reported. When I sent email to the OS X
list, I could run applications other than the Finder from the dock. That's
no longer the case, and when I log in as other users (sometimes during the
less than a second the Finder is "up" before quitting it accepts the
"Command-Shift-Q" keystroke combination to log out) the Finder quits for
those other users, too.

I've also discovered that I need DiskWarrior 3.0.2 to repair the directory
in Panther. My guess is that this won't help, anyway.

Since the problem is present for more than one user, and present with a
Safe Boot, I'm wondering if the Finder itself is damaged. I can see the
diretory of my G5 by mounting it as a server on my PowerBook's desktop
(the computers are on an ethernet LAN). Is it possible to replace the
Finder itself by copying a "good" Finder from another location? Would I be
better off by doing an archive and install from my Panther CD-ROM?

--
James S. Robertson