[X4U] Airport upgrade troubles

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Fri Nov 19 10:34:53 PST 2004

Assuming the router is using NAT, it depends on which brand of router
is doing the DHCP assignments. AFAIK, Airport assigns addresses in the
10.0.1.x space, Netgear uses 192.168.0.x, Linksys uses something else,
and each use corresponding subnet masks. Find out which assignment
scheme your router uses, change your Airport subnet mask to that
scheme, and pick an address within the router's range (Netgear goes up
to 192.168.0.50, I think). If you have a suitable subnet mask, it
becomes temporarily irrelevant whether you use dhcp in your Mac or not.
After the router recognizes the Mac, you can turn dhcp on and ask for a
new assignment, if it concerns you.

BTW, I think "self-assigned" in this case meant that the address was
assigned by the local router, rather than by the ISP.

Jon