[X4U] Airport upgrade troubles

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Fri Nov 19 12:14:14 PST 2004

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 01:34:53PM -0500, Jon Warms wrote:
: On Nov 19, 2004, at 15:40:52 +0000, Stroller wrote:
: >
: >Self-assigned IPs are of the order 169.x.y.z; I think saying that "just
: >assigns itself that for lack of anything better to do" is a bit unfair
: >- that range is part of the "zeroconf" standards which are intended
: >that networky stuff should be able to be plugged in & detect other
: >network devices without any configuration. The technical stuff is at
: ><http://www.zeroconf.org/> and
: ><http://developer.apple.com/macosx/rendezvous/index.html>.
: >
: >192.168.x.y is part of a private address space. I'd think the OP's
: >conclusion that it may be issued by the router emminently reasonable -
: >all Netgear devices use addresses in the 192.168.0.x range, for
: >instance.
: >
: >I'm afraid I've never used an Airport base-station, which is why I
: >haven't contributed better to this thread, but 192.168.x.x is NOT
: >self-assigned - it's probably being issued by DHCP in this instance.
[...]
: BTW, I think "self-assigned" in this case meant that the address was
: assigned by the local router, rather than by the ISP.

"Self-assigned" means self-assigned, as in it chooses its own IP address
by itself and for itself, and not from anything else.  If you see an IP
address that is in the 169.254.* range, it is self-assigned.  *Nothing*
(no router, no ISP, nada) *assigns* this address range on other machines.
Otherwise, the machine gets its IP address either from some manually set
configuration or is assigned one from some other server (e.g. DHCP).

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/