[X4U] How to cook an egg with Mail

Jeff Porten civitan at jeffporten.com
Sat Nov 20 10:03:39 PST 2004

On Oct 31, 2004, at 7:10 PM, silvo conticello wrote:

> below is the message I was going to post. I was just about to hit the
> send button when I realized that the load on the cpu had gone back to
> normal.
> Any hints on what might have happened (and how Mail has self-healed)?

Mail.app can spike the CPU when running indexes.  Over time, these can
become complex or corrupted and indexing will take an inordinately long
time.

I just got Mail back to its normal spiffy self by reducing the size of
some mailboxes (by breaking them up into smaller folders), deleting a
lot of older mailboxes, and rebuilding the rest.

Best,
Jeff