[X4U] iDisk size problem

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Oct 3 04:40:38 PDT 2004

On Oct 2, 2004, at 10:39 pm, Eugene wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 04:07:46PM -0500, Michael Elliott wrote:
> :
> : On Sep 30, 2004, at 9:01 AM, Jim Freeman wrote:
> :
> : >So I allocated more storage to iDisk - it took me a while to figure
> : >out how. And I proceed to to back up a folder with 50 megs of Word
> and
> : >PowerPoint files. It took forever. How useful can this service be
> when
> : >it's sooo sloooow?
> :
> : Well, are you changing all 50 megs of files every day?  I basically
> : only change a few spreadsheets on a regular basis...sheets for my
> : checking, savings, etc accounts, and some other finances.  Those
> : update in a minute or two when I save them.
>
> Just some math for everyone.  If a person has a basic DSL packages with
> 384 kbps downloads will most likely get 128 kbps uploads, which comes
> 16 KB/s.  To upload 50 MB of data, i.e. 51200 KB, that would be:
>
>     51200 KB     1 s      1 min
>     -------- x ------- x ------- = 53.3 minutes
>         1       16 KB      60 s
>
> If iDisk seems slow, it may not exactly be Apple's fault.  The slowdown
> might be due to one's own Internet connection.

I have a 256up ADSL connection, and typically only sync to iDisk files
of less than 10meg. So I'd expect file transfer times of less than 10
minutes, however iDisk almost always seems to keel over on these - it's
ok for small .pdf documents, textfiles & the like, but I have VERY
limited success syncing larger useful files.

I'm very interested in an alternative to iDisk, to give me access to my
files when using my laptop. I have an always-available Linux server, so
could set up something like a webDAV over https share. This is fine
when the laptop has a net connection away from home, but I'm not sure
how it would handle offline-working. In Windows there's an option to
"use this folder offline" - does OS X have anything similar..?

Stroller.