[X4U] iDisk size problem

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Sat Oct 2 14:39:24 PDT 2004

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 04:07:46PM -0500, Michael Elliott wrote:
:
: On Sep 30, 2004, at 9:01 AM, Jim Freeman wrote:
:
: >So I allocated more storage to iDisk - it took me a while to figure
: >out how. And I proceed to to back up a folder with 50 megs of Word and
: >PowerPoint files. It took forever. How useful can this service be when
: >it's sooo sloooow?
:
: Well, are you changing all 50 megs of files every day?  I basically
: only change a few spreadsheets on a regular basis...sheets for my
: checking, savings, etc accounts, and some other finances.  Those
: update in a minute or two when I save them.

Just some math for everyone.  If a person has a basic DSL packages with
384 kbps downloads will most likely get 128 kbps uploads, which comes to
16 KB/s.  To upload 50 MB of data, i.e. 51200 KB, that would be:

    51200 KB     1 s      1 min
        1       16 KB      60 s

If iDisk seems slow, it may not exactly be Apple's fault.  The slowdown
might be due to one's own Internet connection.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/