[X4U] iChat first impressions

Jim Freeman jpfreeman at mac.com
Mon Oct 4 17:46:33 PDT 2004

I had my first real iChat session today: my parents on one end in
California and me with my kids in Montreal. Set up was great. We both
plugged in and it just worked. I had previously set up an iChat account
for my father so that helped. Of course it took him a long time to
figure out that he needed to press the "accept" button. But then we
were up and running. For our purposes it was a little awkward. The kids
(2 and 4 yrs)  wanted to put their faces right in the computer, which
means they can't be seen. And it's hard to carry on a real conversation
over built-in speakers/microphone (new 12" G4 powerbook on my end).
Next time we'll try a plug-in headphones/microphone. The other
challenge with kids is that they are constantly in motion and
apparently fast movement doesn't transmit very well. iChat seems to be
great for talking heads but less great for hyper kids. My parents
complained that they got a lot of colored squares on the screen.

Jim