[X4U] Fwd: [G5] Virtual PC 7 (one step forward, two back)

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Oct 6 18:55:19 PDT 2004

>I am running it, albeit sloooowly on my G5 DP 2G with 3M ram. I will
>check the "details and workaround" info, however.

Somehow on my G5 2x2 w/1.5GB RAM, VPC 7.0 and WinXP SP2 seems much
slower than VPC3.0 and Win98 did on my G4/450 running Mac OS 8.6/G4.
OTOH, I'm very happy with the load that it seems to put on my G5, as
it's much better than I'd expected.

As I mentioned the other day, one thing that will speed you up is to
switch from the default GUI, to the "Classic" Windows GUI.

Obviously it also depends on what you're doing.  The one terminal
emulator I tried out last night seemed faster than some of the Mac OS
X native ones.  But then they're not CPU intensive apps.

Does anyone know of any sites that offer advice on running other OS's
on VPC7?  I've tried installing BeOS 4.5, QNX, and a Linux variant so
far, none have worked right.

I'm really wanting to try and get MS-DOS/Win3.11 and either Win95 or
Win98 up and running on VPC7 so I can run some old software of mine,
and OS/2 V3 would be nice as well.  Still the main OS's I need to be
able to run are WinXP and Linux for the occasional app that won't run
native on Mac OS X.

		Zane