[X4U] Mac as bluetooth headset

Paul Baily mglists at paulbaily.com
Thu Oct 7 01:49:03 PDT 2004

On 05/10/2004, at 3:41 PM, Geno Endicott wrote:

> Maybe I am missing something. But why can't I use my mac's speaker and
> microphone as a bluetooth head set. I already have it where when my
> cell phone rings the number pops up on my screen, and I can even
> connect the call. But I have to pick up the phone to take the call.

I'd be glad to be corrected on this, but I /think/ it's because the Mac
doesn't offer those Bluetooth services to the phone. If I understand
bluetooth correctly, when each device is paired with another, they
publish what services they can offer.

For example, my phone (Sony Ericsson T630) is paired with two devices:
my headset (Sony Ericsson HBH-65) and my PowerBook (15" AlBook).

The phone lists the available services from each as:

Headset: Headset, Handsfree
PowerBook: Object push

Following on from that, when I look at the handsfree menu on the phone,
the only handsfree destination available (ie. the only paired device
offering that service) is the headset.

So, in short, for that to work, I'm think the Mac OS X bluetooth
software would need to be extended. Not quite the answer you wanted,
but HTH anyway.

cheers,

Paul.