[X4U] Fwd: [G5] Virtual PC 7 (one step forward, two back)

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Oct 8 08:49:50 PDT 2004

>I am running Win 98 on mine, and while initial Windows app start up
>is slow, it seems very responsive after that. I have installed
>Firefox and thunderbird and am eschewing IE and OE. So far so good
>(though I'm not in the Win environment often. It's more of a
>curiosity for me.)
>
>Mike
>DP G5 2G/3M/10.3.5/VPC 7

Actually I'm booted and logged in on VPC faster than I am on my
1.6Ghz P4 w/1GB RAM.  Not that this is a very fair comparison as the
P4 has issues, and my laptop from work boots and lets me in faster
than the P4 or VPC.

I have discovered one major issue with VPC 7, I tried downloading
something to a Mac folder mapped as a Network Drive on VPC.  I ended
up with a hopelessly corrupted file.  However, downloading it to the
VPC virtual drive, and then copying it to the mac folder seems to
have worked just fine.  Further proof in my opinion that there are
issues with the whole PC/Mac connection.

The real downer was learning that apparently VPC doesn't support
Firewire, as I was hoping to connect my camera up to VPC, since I
have a cheap little $50 app that works better with my Camera than
Final Cut Express does.

The only thing I use Windows for is to run an OpenVMS management
application (why couldn't it just run on OpenVMS), Xnews (I can't
find a Mac OS X UseNet reader I really like), and a couple video
things I prefer to do on the PC.  So it looks like the only reason I
have to keep a PC around now is Video.  I'm also trying to find a
better Windows terminal emulator than the Mac ones I've tried, so far
I'm having the same luck as on the Mac (nothing seems to support both
proper display and keyboard functionality).

			Zane