[X4U] Fetchmail Help ?

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 9 01:11:44 PDT 2004

>From: Richard <cms01 at tampabay.rr.com>
>Subject: [X4U] Fetchmail Help ?
>To: List X4U <x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>
>Well, I'm getting very tired, of Apple Mail app, not deleting
>downloaded mail,
>off my ISP mail server ( Road Runner ), I have the preference set to
>remove right away,
>for every account, and still after a couple of days, I will get over
>quota,
>from Road Runner, and any new mail sent to me will be bounced. (BUG)
>
>So, since this problem has been with me since 10.2,
>I was thinking that fetchmail may work in this case,
>since it does download mail from any mail server.
>
>However, my only problem is setting this up to work with apple mail
>client,
>has anyone done this as of yet?

I've been playing with a similar idea, but for a different reason.

My approach is to download with fetchmail on my G4 and then run an
IMAP server locally.  That way I can read my mail on either the G4 or
my PowerBook.

I have had fetchmail work once as a test at a time when I was
unlikely to get any real email and I sent some test messages via my
ISP.  Obviously I don't want to run fetchmail much until I'm sure I
can get at all the messages it downloads.

My real problem is that I only have a few minutes every few days to
work on it, so progress is slow.  I too would be very interested if
anyone else has this working.  All the docs I've found assume you're
running OSX Server.

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
dledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk