[X4U] Which version of Windows with VPC?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Oct 13 17:30:50 PDT 2004

> I played around a lot with VPC a couple years ago, and among the
> systems I had installed were Corel Linux & RedHat 6. Here's some
> screenshots-woo-hoo! (everybody loves screenshots)
> http://www.craigwdesigns.com/old/files/images/screens.html
> I think only the first one maybe shows VPC.

The only Linux CD I had in easy reach was a Knoppix CD, it didn't work.

> How is the BeOS?
> I purchased BeOS 5.0 pro back when it was new on store shelves...
>   it installed just fine in VPC, but was useless due to no support for
> USB keyboard & mouse, perhaps a more recent one like BeOS Max doesn't
> even have this problem?
> Did you put BeOS on its own disk image? If not, are you able to boot
> straight into BeOS or do you have to start Windoze first? I've never
> tried the PE version.

I ran 4.5 on a Dual 400Mhz Celeron back when V4.5 was current.  It rocked!

Getting BeOS Max running on VPC was difficult to say the least, due to the
S3 "Video Card", and I had to download a copy of the driver from something
like V3 from http://www.bebits.com  It's not a lot of fun on VPC even though
I have a G5 2x2.  I'm half tempted to give BeOS Max on real HW, not sure
about USB Keyboard/Mouse support.

There is also a new commercial version (Zeta OS), and a OpenSource
reimplementation (Haiku).  I've not tried either of these.

Oh, and the free version of QNX that was available a few years ago, doesn't
seem to like VPC either.

		Zane