[X4U] Which version of Windows with VPC?

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Wed Oct 13 15:30:48 PDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 05:05:21PM -0400, Jim Eddy wrote:
:
: I need to keep tabs on my web site since I understand from family
: Windows users that there are a few glitches. I have a powerbook G4 667
: DVI w/ 512MB of memory. I will probably pick up VPC 6 but don't know
: 'nuthin about Windows.

Get VPC 7.  It's faster, even on G4 systems.

: I've been told Windows 2000 may be the best for
: my hardware--not too slow but somewhat up to date.  What are the
: differences between the various Windows offerings?

Differences?  Some are slower than others.  And some are less secure
than others.

: What's crippled in
: the "Home Edition" versus the "Pro Edition?"

Networking-related functions, so that you can't get the cheap version to
turn your Windoze machine into a full-fledged "server".

: I only anticipate running
: a Windows web browser every once in a while, and can tolerate some
: slowness (as long as it doesn't become an all day affair!). How many
: different web browsers are there on the windows side in general use? Do
: they come with the system software like Safari and IE do on my mac?

They usually come with IE.  Some people are starting to switch to
Firefox because of all the security headaches.  Since Firefox is
available for OS X, there's little reason to launch VPC just to
run it on Windoze.

It's more important to ask, why do you want to run Windoze on your Mac?
What apps or services do you need that's not available on the Mac?

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/