[X4U] Overzealous Stuffing

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Sat Oct 16 09:17:22 PDT 2004

I was sent an update to review, filename Mathwallah.zip. Eudora running on a Mac 8500 with system 9.1 politely added a space and a digit 1 to the filename to avoid overwriting a previous version from several days ago.

I copied file "MathWalllah.zip 1" to my into my Documents folder under Panther (10.3.5) on my G4.

I selected the text of the filename in OS 10 and edited out the space and the digit 1 to get "MathWallah.zip" which I could see and verify in the Finder window which was in small icon view.

To seal the change I deselected the file by clicking well clear of any icon in the window.

Stuffit LAUNCHED ITSELF and stuffed the file while clobbering the original ! (Well it compressed it, probably with zip.)

The result was a doubly stuffed file called MathWallah.zip. Finder will open it with Stuffit Deluxe. I didn't ask for it and I have no use for it.

Repeating the entire process over several days produces the same result. Changing the name over on the OS 9 box is a workaround.

Is it a feature that I just don't understand?   Somehow I feel silly filing a bug report about it.

--
-->  There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and those who don't <--