[X4U] Overzealous Stuffing

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Sat Oct 16 09:59:04 PDT 2004

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 10:17:22AM -0600, Doug McNutt wrote:
:
: I was sent an update to review, filename Mathwallah.zip. Eudora
: running on a Mac 8500 with system 9.1 politely added a space and a
: digit 1 to the filename to avoid overwriting a previous version from
: several days ago.
:
: I copied file "MathWalllah.zip 1" to my into my Documents folder under
: Panther (10.3.5) on my G4.
:
: I selected the text of the filename in OS 10 and edited out the space
: and the digit 1 to get "MathWallah.zip" which I could see and verify
: in the Finder window which was in small icon view.
:
: To seal the change I deselected the file by clicking well clear of any
: icon in the window.
:
: Stuffit LAUNCHED ITSELF and stuffed the file while clobbering the
: original ! (Well it compressed it, probably with zip.)
:
: The result was a doubly stuffed file called MathWallah.zip. Finder
: will open it with Stuffit Deluxe. I didn't ask for it and I have no
: use for it.
:
: Repeating the entire process over several days produces the same
: result. Changing the name over on the OS 9 box is a workaround.
:
: Is it a feature that I just don't understand?   Somehow I feel silly
: filing a bug report about it.

That's not an OS X feature.  That sounds like Stuffit Deluxe watching
for filename extension changes as a signal to automatically create or
unpack some archive format.  Does it happen if you rename the file via
the command line?

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/