[X4U] Ethernet out??

Mark Phillips mark at mophilly.com
Thu Oct 28 11:01:41 PDT 2004

On Oct 28, 2004, at 10:49 AM, Paul Moortgat wrote:

> Can an ethernet on a G4/933 (10.3.5) go broke?  I can't make a
> connection.  I changed the cable, but still can't make a connection.
>
> Paul Moortgat

Ethernet interface cards (NIC) do fail. NIC's are a very inexpensive
part with very low profit margins these days so quality control is dicy
in the broad view of things.

More often than NIC failure is a change or error in the network
parameters. You probably have done this but have you double checked the
network IP, subnet and gateway parameters?

Also, many NIC's have LED's on board that light up with a connection. I
haven't had a need to look at the Mac's but it may be worth taking a
peek. On the machines I have built the NIC LED's are yellow with power
and green with connection; this may not be true for your machine.

HTH,

Mark Phillips
Mophilly & Associates
On the web at http://www.mophilly.com