[X4U] wireless network

Geoffrey Loeffler geoffrey at alaska.net
Wed Sep 15 03:03:58 PDT 2004

Two things there are hard wired routers that take cable to cable
connections, usually have 4 to 5 outlets to connect to other computers
printers. Wireless routers i.e. Apple Base Station do the same thing
but with limitations.

 From the telco modem you usually can go directly to a hard wired
router. Be sure you know what kind of cable is required. This is the
hardest part and the one with the least directions. It usually is a Cat
5E crossover cable. Now usually the Telco company will sell this with
the modem, ouch a bit pricey). However, if you buy the modem and router
from the telco this makes getting tech support answers a lot easier,
because if you use another "brand" router, the telco will always blame
it on the off brand router. When I got mine they put the wrong cable in
the box. 2 days of pulling hair out, the guy on the phone asks read the
color wires in the cable, because the color code was off he knew it was
the wrong.
Luckily I had a cross over. In fact I had wire everywhere of every
type, just in case

It is also possible you may be able to use the hard wired router by
straight cat 5e to the G4 and the G4 then becomes the base station to
get the signal to the iBook. Why the hard wired router, ability to hook
up other devices that are not wireless.

To go from the hard wired router you need to research a bit more, it
depends on which base station you use. From the router you can hook up
to a Apple Base Station or other brands of wireless stations, usually
cheaper but I try to buy Apple when they do not skin me on the cost.
Again the type of cable used here is important and dependent on type of
router and where it's used .

 From the hard wired router you can use straight cat 5e cable to hook up
directly to  most macs by just plugging it in. Macs made from the the
6100-8100 series and older had ethernet but was a bit different had to
have a plug and play part, if you do not have anything that old not
worth typing. Me I love my 6100 G3 300MHZ bought new in 1995 and runs
15/7 and I only replace the pram 3 times, plus it lets me connect one
of my printers a Select 360 a beast of a printer, but 10 years and
still going

Again be sure you get the correct cables. This is the only real
headache part. This will give you a wired set up that will let use hard
wired or wireless.
I am looking at getting one of the older "Snow Base Stations" this has
2 ethernet ports and wireless

I am sure minds smarter then mine will help more but that is the
general flow. You can eliminate the hard wired router and go totally
wireless. But I have found that the straight cat 5e is faster, and at
times that matters and lets me hook up all sorts of good old products..

Go to Apples website and do a little more search for airport to see
what's best for you.. They do a much better job of explaining things. I
have noticed that the sight seems a little better then it used to be.
Below is a good site that I sent someone else to
>> http://search.info.apple.com/?
>> q=Airport+&search=Go&lr=lang_en&search=Go

Below is a quote from another list of this group 1st power mac
t 1:58 PM -0500 9/11/04, Fred wrote:
>> It has been stated that adding a slower wireless connection to the
>> mix will
>> slow down the network.  But it is important to remember that your 54
>> (g)
>> connection is good for only 30 feet or so from the base and with
>> other 54
>> (g) equipped macs and that none of this relates to your internet
>> connection as
>> either the 11 (b) connection or the 54 (g) connection will be
>> identical as
>> internet connections are generally anywhere from 56k up to 1.5M to 3M
>> which
>> does not even utilize the 11 (b) connection to it's fullest.

So save the money and find a used or inexpensive Base Station. The
router that comes out from the telco modem is not always cheap,
sometimes, free if you find the right ad. The hard wired routers, those
are cheap
Good luck Geoff