[X4U] wireless network

silvo conticello silvoc at tiscali.it
Wed Sep 15 09:26:03 PDT 2004

On 15 Sep 2004, at 12:22, Peter Krug wrote:
> Also, when I got my DSL, I did not install any of the Earthlink
> software - DHCP Ethernet worked just fine.  Caveat: I have heard that
> some cable/DSL providers link the modem to a specific computer based
> on the mac address.  I haven't ever actually seen this, but
> theoretically you could have the technician set up a computer then
> "oops, I need to set up another computer - here's it's mac address"
> (and you read it off the bottom of the base station to the tech
> support guy on the phone).

I'm rather ignorant about cable modems, but, from my experience with
NTL, everytime I need to hook a different computer (don't have yet a
wireless network) all I have to do is just to unplug and re-plug the
cable modem to let it 'register' the new Ethernet address.

Silvo

Silvo Conticello
Albook 17" 1.5GHz/1.5Gb RAM/80Gb HD/OS10.3.4
iMac 1GHz/500Mb Ram/80Gb HD/OS10.3.2/17" display
E-mail: silvoc at tiscali.it
Cambridge
UK