[X4U] wireless network

Aron S.Spencer aron at r8ix.com
Wed Sep 15 06:23:51 PDT 2004

This can be accomplished by turning everything off (unplugging the
cable modem), doing the reconfiguration, then turning everything back
on. The cable modem will slave to the MAC address it sees first.

And don't let them install any software on any computer. You don't need
it. Go for the "Self Install" option if it's available.

On Sep 15, 2004, at 7:22 AM, Peter Krug wrote:

>  Caveat: I have heard that some cable/DSL providers link the modem to
> a specific computer based on the mac address.  I haven't ever actually
> seen this, but theoretically you could have the technician set up a
> computer then "oops, I need to set up another computer - here's it's
> mac address" (and you read it off the bottom of the base station to
> the tech support guy on the phone).

Aron S. Spencer
Elizabeth, NJ 07202