[X4U] wireless network

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Wed Sep 15 04:22:42 PDT 2004

On Sep 15, 2004, at 5:58 AM, Allan Hise wrote:

> When they do the install, I would be leery about letting them install
> any
> software. I'll admit my inexperience with cable setups (I'm using DSL),
> but I don't think you should need any additional software to make it
> work.
> I would get it working with a wired ethernet connection to your G4, and
> once that works, insert the wireless element.

This is absolutely correct.  When the cable folks came out to install
my parents' cable modem, they said a) the system requires the software
install on all computers and b) that any wireless connection will cost
extra.  I told my parents to a) only tell the installer guy about my
dad's laptop and hide the airport base station.  After he had gone, my
mom's iBook worked completely fine set to DHCP Ethernet and the base
station worked fine routing packets for both computers once it was set
up.

Also, when I got my DSL, I did not install any of the Earthlink
software - DHCP Ethernet worked just fine.  Caveat: I have heard that
some cable/DSL providers link the modem to a specific computer based on
the mac address.  I haven't ever actually seen this, but theoretically
you could have the technician set up a computer then "oops, I need to
set up another computer - here's it's mac address" (and you read it off
the bottom of the base station to the tech support guy on the phone).

Summary - definitely try everything without the ISP's software first.

Peter

A little computer haiku:
I can't remember
the last time I restarted
I love OS X

This message sent with Mail.app 1.3.9 on Mac OS X 10.3.5