[X4U] USB Microphones?

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Thu Sep 16 08:53:36 PDT 2004

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find the old
archives for the "old" version of this list, only the newly created
archives from this month.

I was looking for some recommendations on USB Microphones.  We have
someone who wants to do some voice-overs for a flash training that will
available via our web site.  We don't need it to be CD-quality sound,
just better than that provided by the built-in mics in our PowerBooks,
etc.  I know that the best quality sound would probably be from a
proper microphone via mic input, but I was looking for something a
little more universal, that could be used on any of our Macs that have
USB.  Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?  Also any
recommendations on software for recording (OS X, of course)?  I see
that there are several available:

Audio Recorder
Audio In
Audio Companion
Sound Studio

I think we would prefer mp3 format to AIFF.  So, any good, bad or ugly
opinions on any of these?

Many thanks for your input!

Gretchen