[X4U] Re: wmv to dvd format

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Thu Sep 16 11:05:22 PDT 2004

On 9/16/04 at 1:33 PM, Richard Gilmore <rgilmor at uwo.ca> transmitted the
following electronic message:

>I'm  not 100% on this but I think you can Cleaner 5/6 to convert a
>.wmv file to Quicktime and from there use iDVD to burn it. DVDs can be
>ripped, edited and re-burned but the quality goes down. Unfortunately
>I'm not the one to talk to about that except that I know it can be
>done. Try the MacDV list they would definitely be able to tell you.
>
>Richard
>

>> What is needed to convert wmv files to a format that can be burned
>> onto a DVD and played?
>>
>> Also, I paid a fellow to edit some video and provide a master DVD I
>> can use for duplication for a club I am involved with. Is it
>> possible to "rip" a DVD and splice in the aforementioned wmv files?

Some wmv files, not those with DRM protection, though, nor does it
support the most recent wmv formats (WMP9 and later). You can also
convert the "older", non-protected WMVs using ffmpegX with the "Decode
using mplayer" option (i.e. if you can play it with MPlayer, you can
convert it with ffmpegX).

So far as Richard's "splicing" question -- it's possible, but decidedly
non-trivial. A DVD is comprised of BUP, IFO, and VOB files. IFO files
(and BUPs, which are IFO backups) contain instructions to the DVD Player
as to how the VOB (Video OBject) files are to be played -- aspect ratio,
languages, menus, etc. The VOB files contain multiplexed MPEG video and
digital audio and, together, contain parts of a movie (each individual
VOB is size limited).

You would need to reconstruct the VOB sequences, splicing in your new
material, resplitting the VOB files in a domino effect from the point of
insertion/deletion, rebuild the IFO, and so forth.

You are far more likely to be successful to take the raw material and
reauthor the DVD. Check out www.dvdrhelp.com and
www.audio-video-affair.com for reference material on how DVDs are
laid-out and authored.

--