[X4U] Clipboard question [NOISE]

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Fri Sep 17 06:53:53 PDT 2004

On Sep 16, 2004, at 2:35 PM, Al Simcoe wrote:

> My question did have all the info necessary to come up with a good
> answer.

Not necessarily, and not necessarily the best answer. That generally
requires getting as much information as possible (asking questions) to
make sure one fully understands the problem. Without doing that, you
("you" being the person answering the question) can't even be sure you
have a good answer. You'd have to trust the questioner to have actually
provided all necessary information and really understand the problem
they're trying to solve (often not the case -but one can always make
that assumption :-)

So, IMO you gave enough info to form an answer, but not necessarily a
good one.

For example, restarting the computer was a suggestion. Its a perfectly
simple solution, but the person responding has no basis for really
knowing if its a good answer -restarting could moot the point of
clearing the clipboard.

So I find its actually a good thing that people are willing to start
off by asking questions and making assumptions, especially on lists
like this. I've seen very few problems solved without asking questions
and making assumptions, and that includes engineering problems. Watch
out for the Engineer who doesn't understand the assumptions made to
derive that equation being used.

-Mike