[X4U] Re Extracting audio from DVD (Vol 1, Issue 11)

Smith, Steve (EPA) SteveR.Smith at state.sa.gov.au
Sun Sep 19 18:24:40 PDT 2004

I recently used 'WireTap' (free download from Ambrosia) which will record
any audio being played on your Mac, and it worked very well.

It was a bit of a slow process as I wanted to be fussy about the tracks that
I wanted to copy and didn't want too much applause and so forth at the start
of each audio file, so I did each track separately. Just lined up the start
of the track on the DVD, hit pause ... hit record on 'wiretap ... then hit
play on the DVD or something like that.

I think I then imported the tracks into iTunes to convert them to MP3s.

Noticed just a little bit of clipping on the final tracks which might have
something to do with the the volume level of my eMac .. next time I might
ease the volume off to half or slightly more .. not too sure though.

Don't know what else is out there but it was so easy with WireTap that for
my purposes I don't think I need to use anything else.

>From the Ambrosia Web Site ... http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/freebies/

"WireTap 1.0.0

WireTap is a free product for MacOS X 10.2 or later that allows you to
record any audio playing on your Mac, saving it to a file for later
listening or processing. This allows you to record news from Internet radio
stations such as the BBC News, sound snippets from your favorite DVD movie,
record the audio from a game, or even iChatAV conversations.
WireTap works using a simple tape recorder-like interface. Simply click the
record button, and any audio playing through your Mac will be recorded to
disk. WireTap can record any sound that is playing regardless of the source,
so RealPlayer, iTunes, DVD Player, Windows Media Player, etc. are all
supported.

The technology in WireTap will be coming to a future version of our
video/screen capture product Snapz Pro X. WireTap is a completely free
product. Discussion about this application can be found here.

You can also download WireTap from a mirror, if the server is busy (remind
me never to say "free" again ;)."

Steve Smith

Message: 2