[X4U] System instability from dialog boxes?

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Thu Sep 23 12:41:03 PDT 2004

On Sep 23, 2004, at 14:04, Jesse Leo wrote:
>  TextEdit[10907] *** +[NSCFString length]: selector not recognized
>
>  Put simply, dialog boxes are wreaking havoc on the Finder. Any ideas?

Hi Jesse,

To test whether it is the system or just your account, I would suggest
logging in as another user on the computer (if you can) and see if that
user has the same trouble.  If that user has no problems, then it is
something with your account preferences/settings that is the problem.
If that user has problems as well, then yes, you may have some system
problems.

I would suggestion running the Repair Disk on your Panther volume.  I
presume that you have tried the Shutdown, then wait about a minute,
then start the computer to see if the behavior goes away?  (I prefer
this rather than a Restart, which I have read may not clear all temp
files.)

Hope this helps you start to narrow the problem down a bit.

gretchen