[X4U] Virus & Spyware No Problem on Mac?

David Flory daflory at speakeasy.net
Mon Apr 4 19:12:33 PDT 2005

On Apr 4, 2005, at 6:33 PM, Joe Sporleder wrote:

> Are us Mac users really that much safer? Will we be less safe as
> Apple gains market and mind share?

Succinctly, yes, and perhaps. The main reason that Macs are really
less vulnerable is that by default all the windows (yes, there's that
word!) for people to get at your computer from online are turned off.
On Windows they are on by default. This means that you have to go in
and turn them ON to be vulnerable. Windows people have to go in and
turn them OFF. This small thing is a BIG thing for security.

I recall a couple of server folk offered a pretty good money reward
to anyone who could crash their Mac servers, They didn't have any
claimers of the reward.
--
Speak softly, study Aikido, & you won't need to carry a big stick!
See my photos @ <http://homepage.mac.com/dflory>