[X4U] FW: X4U Digest, Vol 8, Issue 8

Barbara Alfors balfors at kaadesigngroup.com
Tue Apr 5 15:23:03 PDT 2005

On  Wed, 6 Apr 2005 06:25:12 +1000 Mark Gibson wrote:

> At 15:45 -0400 5/4/05, Deborah Puerini wrote:
>
>> ... I've been on OSX since last Weds and have gotten the "prohibitive sign"
>> (zero with a slash thru it) upon startup about 3 times. Then last night ...
>> the startup screen looked all wacky....
>>
>> Deb in Rhode Island
>
> Deborah,
>
> OK the image on the left is called a Kernel Panic (a bit like the old
> system error). The image on the right suggests a video issue.
>
> Did this machine have any additional 3rd party RAM added?, a new
> video card? Is the SCSI card standard?Try removing any additional cards that
> have been added to the machine or any non standard (non Apple) RAM.

We used to get "wacky screen" kernel panics (Blue & White G3 300 running
Retrospect with an accelerator card) that looked exactly the same as yours,
- so I don't agree that it's a video issue, but I would agree with Mark that
it's probably a hardware problem and reinstalling software probably won't
help.

In our case, it turned out that the combination of Retrospect, OS X, and the
accelerator card didn't work, so we ditched the accelerator card and all has
been well.

-Barbara