[X4U] Kernel panics and video issues

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Tue Apr 5 16:16:44 PDT 2005

At 17:55 -0400 5/4/05, Deborah Puerini wrote:
><snip>
>>Deborah,
>>
>>OK the image on the left is called a Kernel Panic (a bit like the old
>>system error). The image on the right suggests a video issue.
>>
>>OS X is more discerning than OS 9 so there are a few things that may
>>cause the kernel panic.
>>
>>Did this machine have any additional 3rd party RAM added?, a new
>>video card? Is the SCSI card standard?
>>
>>Try removing any additional cards that have been added to the machine
>>or any non standard (non Apple) RAM.
>>
>>What model machine are we talking about anyway?
>>--
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Mark (}-:
>>
>Stroller: Oh so THAT'S what a kernel panic looks like! Never saw a
>picture of it. How are we supposed to know that's what it is? I
>thought this list was for questions.....<sigh>
>
>Mark: It's a G3 B&W Rev 1, which I think that's why all this
>panic-ing and stuff is going on. Put another video card in and all
>is well today. I know all about CUDA and have done that before.
>Works great.
>
>Did turn *off* all the scsi things, but to remove additional cards
>and all that? Then this machine would be pretty useless to me. Might
>as well go back to OS9 where I can actually get stuff done. I have
>read OS X is pickier than 9. Well at least cox.net is apparently
>keeping all my email on their server (checking through the web mail
>page, finding over 300 messages from when I first went full force on
>X) - but I have been getting all that email on Apple Mail smooth as
>silk.
>
>I think the best answer is to get a mini alongside the B&W and run
>both at the same time with a KVM switch. Then EVERYTHING would work!
>
>I do appreciate all of the information, it has been quite a learning
>experience.
>
>Deb in Rhode Island

Deborah,

Well if you must have SCSI and you have the cash, then I think best
option would be a Mini and a KVM.

That way your old machine could still run OS 9 and SCSI would be
happy and the Mini would run 10.3 (or even 10.4 if you can wait a few
days / weeks). Either way 10.3 or 10.4 are much better than the 10.2
(Jaguar) that you currently have.

You could move everything onto the Mini (except the applications that
use the SCSI devices - are these scanners or just external drives?).

If your network switch or hub has enough capacity you could have both
machines on the network where they could share your new printer and
use file sharing to move files between the two as required.
--

Regards,

Mark (}-:
+61 (0)4 1927 7198
Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

There are only three types of computer users: Those that use Macs.
Those that wished they used Macs. Those that don't know any better.