[X4U] Tiger Apr 29th

Jim Freeman jpfreeman at mac.com
Wed Apr 13 09:20:32 PDT 2005

On 13-Apr-05, at 9:42 AM, Ean Kingston wrote:

>> I'm surprised no one is discussing Tiger's release announcement,
>> considering this is the X4U list.
>
> Alright, fine. Is there going to be a significant discount for
> updating to
> it from a previous OS X release?

No.

And only computers purchased after the announcement (Apr 12) are
eligible for a free copy of Tiger. ($10 fee for the media)

It only comes on DVD, but you can send back your DVD disks and they
will send you the CDs.

I was more interested in talking about the features. Is the upgrade
worth it? Do we really need those new features? Probably not, but I'm a
mac addict and I can't help myself. I never use Exposé or FileVault,
for example. But I'm really looking forward to Spotlight and Dashboard.
I wonder if Apple isn't just constantly reinventing the wheel. What
happened to Sherlock? Wasn't that supposed to be the answer to file
searching and to grabbing useful web content and presenting it in a
more attractive centralized place? But indexing was slow and always in
the way. And I ended up finding it more attractive to go directly to
web sites to get that content. Will dashboard be a better solution?

I still miss having a location switcher that will change things like
smtp address and default printer when I move my laptop from home to
work. I use Location X, but there are problems. You'd think Apple would
put this feature back in. Maybe I can make a macro using Automater.

Jim