[X4U] Various video dilemas

Ean Kingston ean at hedron.org
Wed Apr 13 10:49:10 PDT 2005

Hi folks,

With all the excitement about Tiger, I guess I'll ask. Does anyone know if
they have updated Quicktime to support mp3 audio playback in avi files
yet?

Also, as you may have guessed I've done some looking around to see if I
can get avi files to play in Quicktime (supplied with OS X 10.2). I found
some codecs from divx.com but the installer license says it is adware and
I'm not going to add any adware to my system. I did install another
freeware codec which got me the video but no sound. Anyone have any good
hints?

I am also about to purchase an external firewire drive for my iMac G4. The
spec says I've got 2 firewire 400 ports. How would I go about getting
iMovie and iDVD to use the new firewire drive to store their project
files? And, would this significantly slow down performance of either
iMovie or iDVD?

Lastly, any suggestions on good DV cameras to buy/avoid?

--
Ean Kingston
    E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org