[X4U] Looking back at Panther and forward to Tiger

Andrew Swanson swansoac at uwec.edu
Wed Apr 13 13:53:07 PDT 2005

At this point I have trouble remembering which Panther features I use
all the time were added at Panther.

1) I do know that better Exchange integration (through Outlook Webmail)
has been profoundly useful to me, getting me almost entirely off of
Classic.
2) The Finder Sidebar (and its integration into open and save dialogs)
is also something I use all the time.
3) Command+Tab is nice. I use it more than Exposé.
4) Having a local copy of the iDisk certainly speeded things up for me.
5) The improved printer utility really grew on me.
6) The return of labels was nice.

I'm sure there were other features added in Panther that I use a lot
but no longer remember when they came in. Only the first of these would
I have guessed I would remember as being among the features of Panther
that I found most useful.

Now on to Tiger...
1) The feature that I'm SURE I'll find useful (and have, in fact, often
wanted) is the ability to sync my Mail Rules. (Not the mailboxes, just
the rules!)
2) The ability of applications to sync may prove very useful as well,
just judging from how useful I find this feature of StickyBrain 3.2
(and above). I'm hoping that the fact that it is built in to Tiger
makes it even more useful (in StickyBrain 3.4 and in other
applications).
3) Smart Folders in Mail (and Finder and...) look quite nice.
4) I'm not sure, but VPN on Demand looks like it may be useful....

   Andy