[X4U] Tiger, iPhoto and Metadata

Pete Zimowski petez at mac.com
Fri Apr 15 07:49:32 PDT 2005

OK you brainiacs!

As I was poking deeper into iPhoto (5, specifically) than I had ever
before in anticipation of "presenting" it to our local user group
(MMOOS - Maine Macintosh Owners & Operators Society), I made the
following discovery:

iPhoto 5 (and, I presume all others before it) does not and cannot edit
metadata embedded in the image from the digital camera.  It certainly
does display some of the EXIF data, but there's no way to examine or
edit IPTC data or keywords or comments.

But wait, you say, there are keywords and comments capabilities in
iPhoto.  Yes, but they are "proprietary" keywords and comments to
iPhoto, and stored not in the photo but in the "AlbumData.xml" file
within the iPhoto Library folder.  This would not be an issue with
casual consumers, I would think, unless they "graduated" to Photoshop
Elements or higher and discover that all their organization schemes in
iPhoto won't carry over.

I know that there are AppleScript packages out there that attempt to
handle the task of adding the iPhoto keywords and comments to the
appropriate metadata tags.  I have used a couple and found them to be
"quirky" at best.  Has anyone found any that work?

Secondly, can anyone using Tiger tell me (off-list if need be) whether
or not this "shortcoming" is addressed in 10.4?  With all the apps
getting embedded Spotlight, perhaps iPhoto will change its tune and go
to actually editing metadata, so that there would be a seamless
crossover of capabilities with File Browser (soon to be "Bridge"), and
any other tool that actually used metadata.

If the incongruity is not addressed in Tiger, seems to me there would
be an opportunity for a commercial (shareware at the least) application
that would contain AppleScripting to "convert" iPhoto data into real
metadata.

Any thoughts, oh wise ones?

Pete Zimowski
macmaineiac.com