[X4U] Tiger, iPhoto and Metadata

Andrew T. Lynch atlynch at mac.com
Fri Apr 15 09:39:23 PDT 2005

Hi Pete,
    I have been attempting to get my keywords and albums into and out of
iPhoto for some time now.  I found that using perl to parse the
AlbumData.xml file works for extracting.  I have also found that using
applescript is not feasible.  I have almost 25,000 images in iPhoto,
and using applescript to do anything is pathetically slow.  I tried to
run an applescript keyword extractor to dump out all the keywords, and
calculated that it would take 15 hours to run.

  Adding keywords with applescript is another issue.  I know it can be
done, but it is not straighforward.  Not only do you need to add the
keyword to the photo, but you need to be sure that the keyword exists
in the keyword list as well.

   What I am trying to do is split my library into smaller libraries and
preserve the keyword and album data. I have seen many suggestions which
have you copy the entire library, then delete the portion you do not
want in the new library.  This makes me very nervous as the
AlbumData.xml in the new library still points to the photos in the old
library, and I am concerned that the deletes may occur in the wrong
library.  It may work to rebuild the library after the copy, and before
the deletes, but I'm not sure I trust this either.

   I have also seen applescripts which use third party tools to read and
write the keyword data into the iptc fields in the images, but I have
not been able to get any of them to work.  I think they were written
for an earlier version of iPhoto.

   I really like iPhoto, and iPhoto 5 (and a new fast Mac) has given
what I need to switch from iView MediaPro to iPhoto,  but I would
really like the ability to export and import the proprietary iPhoto
information.

Cheers
   Drew