[X4U] Windows 2000 File Sharing Vanished

revDAVE coolcat at hostalive.com
Fri Apr 15 08:03:56 PDT 2005

I'm not quite sure what happened - but somehow my ability to file share
Windows 2000 with OSX 10.3.8 vanished yesterday.

Short story:

- I'm using a linksys router for a long time and cable modem
- for long time I have been set up using static local ips for the 2 macs and
dynamically using DHCP for Windows 2000.
-  Everything worked fine for a long time
-  yesterday my cable modem provider came over -  and for several reasons -
we ended up switching the two macs back to DHCP rather than static
connections
-  we did not change anything else -  aside from normal rebooting etc.

-  now - after trying many things - I still cannot see the Windows 2000
computer showing up in my network tab on either of the two macs...

-  yes ... I have rebooted many times - checked system preferences including
making new locations - both dynamic DHCP or STATIC ( the way it was) ... -
rechecked Windows file sharing

-  I also checked that the protocol of AppleTalk was active on Windows

(**  although the pull-down menu in properties was blank - could this be
it?) - how would I fix this - if so?

-  Also - for testing purposes I entirely removed the zone alarm - even
though I created some trusted zones within the range of IP for the other two
macs.

-  I double checked on Windows that the shares were active for the
particular hard drives

-  I even did a master reset of the router and  power cycled the modem

-   I have been using share points successfully for a long time - and it
appears that I can still see the macs from the Windows machine...  So this
file sharing works in this direction...

-  all Internet connections on all computers work fine

- but still no matter what I do - No file sharing is available from WINDOWS
>MAC

- WHAT HAPPENED -  how can I fix this?

--
Thanks - RevDave