[X4U] Let's start the FUD presses.

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Apr 15 23:22:07 PDT 2005

DZ-Jay said:

>An therein lies my question:  did Apple really change the UI for
>Mail.app (and other apps)?

Yes, Apple drastically changed the interface of Mail.app.  After seeing
how many users were investigating PowerMail, GyazMail, and the like,
longing for a two/three-pane interface similar to that in the much loved
Claris Emailer, and the very popular Outlook Express, Apple decided to
give users what they wanted.

The slide out drawers introduced early in OS X just don't cut it for many
folks.  First, its nicer to have all of the information that you want
available, available all the time, in an uncluttered interface.  Second,
slide out drawers sometimes take up more screen real estate than some
user's monitors have to spare.

And, yes, Mail.app now has a more muted version of the brushed metal
look.  Actually, it harkens back to the "platinum" look of OS 9, only it
is more three dimentional.  I like it.  In fact, it is what a lot of
users, who hated both Aqua and the brushed metal look,  have been asking
for for quite a while.  It is similar to a number of themes available
with OS X theme-changers.

Apple has had a recent history of previewing interface changes with
Safari and Mail.app.  I hope that the look in the latest version of
Mail.app is likewise an indication of where Apple is headed.  I think
that it shows that Apple has been listening to it users.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html