[X4U] PCI Wireless Card for older G4

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Apr 16 21:15:53 PDT 2005

On Apr 17, 2005, at 2:49 am, Nick Scalise wrote:

> Is anyone using a PCI Wireless card in a G4, or have you heard of
> anyone using that?

This look promising:
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/aria_pci.html

> What is the best/cheapest kit?

Sorry... which one of those?   ;)

> I see that OrangeWare has drivers for generic PC cards, does anyone
> have any experience with that?

As far as I can make out - "requires Mac OS X 10.2.6 or later and
AirPort Extreme driver 3.1 or later" - the Aria Extreme doesn't require
any drivers installed.

I guessed that this might use a Broadcom chipset & was about to
speculate that any PCI card using a similar Broadcom chipset would work
natively, when I stared Googling for the specific chipset used & found
a page that confirms this
<http://www.osxhax.com/archives/cat_airport_extreme_hacks.html>. I'll
bet that if you shopped around you could find a right bargain in
Airport Extreme -compatible cards.

Stroller.